Monday 4 April 2016

OKADA RIDER EMERGES UNIOSUN BEST STUDENT

28-year-old Okada Rider Adeyemo Kazeem emerged overall best student at the just concluded 4th and 5th  convocation of UNIOSUN with a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 4.81. By achieving this feat, Kazeem , has proved that nothing is impossible to achieve with hard work, determination and prayer. He shares his inspiring journey to his enviable degree in this exclusive interview.

Who is Adeyemo Kazeem
I am a 28-year-old Civil Engineering graduate of the university of Osun State. I am an indigene Ikirun, Ifelodun Local Government Area of the state. I have five siblings. My mother is a teacher, and I haven’t set eyes on my dad for 16 years. I always took the back seat during my primary and secondary school days, because I was very poor academically.

Did your background have any effect on you?
Yes, my family background affected me both positively/negatively. Negatively, in the sense that, I had to ride commercial motorcycle popularly called okada for more than two years because of financial problem, which I believed would have been different had my dad was around. It also affected positively, because I learnt how to take care of myself from that time onward. Although my parents were estranged, they made sure that my siblings and I, had the best education they could afforded.

Why the choice of civil Engineering?
Actually, I didn’t set out to study Civil Engineering. As a young boy, I had always wanted to study medicine at the behest of my mother, who not only love the profession but really wanted me to become a medical doctor. But, as fate would have it, I applied for Bio- chemistry to make transferring to medicine easier, but I was given admission into Civil Engineering department.

How did you find the course?
I found Civil Engineering quite interesting. Had I known that from the onset, perhaps I wouldn’t have nurtured the interest in medicine.
What did you do differently from others that helped this much?
I read a lot and stayed away from home. I only went home twice in five years, apart from going for the student industrial training, which was mandatory. I also prayed vehemently.

What was your typical day like in school?
I usually leave for school as early as possible in order not to miss any class. I read when I know my brain can assimilate and play when I feel otherwise. I simply didn’t have any specific time of reading.
What was it like being the leading student in your class?
As the leading student in my level then, you have to know that there would be pressure to do better, from my class mates and lecturers who expected so much from and that really helped me to in making sure that I maintain my point.

Did you ever plan to graduate with first class?

Not at all, because I had no idea what first class meant at that time. But having attained first class at 100level, I told myself I had to maintain the trend and finish with it. That was when I realized what first class mean and I strived so hard not to fall below that. I subsequently, had first class from 100level through 500level

How often do you read?

I read virtually everyday, but I had no specific pattern of reading.
How did you manage distraction on campus?
The only distraction that really wanted to get in my way was girls, but with the help of MSSN, I was able to summon it. You know as a Muslim and a bachelor, there are things am not allowed to do. So, I can simply say, being a Muslim really helped me in tackling distraction from ladies, because their dressing can be very distracting.

How would you evaluate teachings standard at the university of Osun state?
UNIOSUN is a very serious institution, and if the present standard could be maintained, it will continue to be a standard university, because we had direct and easy access to our lectures. To me, they are not lecturers but teachers, because they adopt the best and easiest measures of teaching and inculcating knowledge in us.

Do you have any intention of going for your Masters soon?
That’s the next thing In sha Allah (God’s willing). What may delay me is financial support, because, right now my parents will have to focus on how to raise my younger ones. I can’t even ask that of them. So, I have to stand on my own now like I once did and struggle to get my masters. It may take sometime, but by God’s grace I’ll achieve it.

What is your definition of success?
Success to me means setting a goal and achieving it.
Would you now say you’re successful?
Yes. As a student, I can say that I have attained a certain level of success and it’s all due to Almighty Allah’s grace. I look forward to a brighter future.

Have you ever been discouraged by the level of unemployment in Nigeria?
Yes. That situation is a very pressing national issue. The labour market is saturated and the number of graduate keeps increasing every year. I strongly believe there need is for all graduates to stop targeting government job and think of something we can achieve on our own.

How would you advise those students who want achieve the same feat as you?
I enjoin them never to think of themselves as being unable to achieve something at any point in time. Whatever the situation they may find themselves, they should be very proactive and make sure that their aims are not defeated. Sky shouldn’t be our limit but the beginning. They have to be determined and face their studies squarely, read more and play less. Hardwork coupled with prayer will always enhance success, they should combine the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment